Friday, March 19, 2010

Student/Teacher Boundaries

The Internet world has become much more social with the advent of Facebook, Twitter and now Google Buzz.  It seems most every day there's a new way to connect with other people.  While this is technology is great at connecting people, it can often connect people in ways they may not have foreseen.  Let me ask you some questions:
  • Do you give students a personal email address in case D2L fails?
  • Do you give students a home or cell phone number?
  • Do you "friend" current students in Facebook/MySpace?  What about former students?
  • Do you ask students to interact with you in public spaces, such as open forums?
  • Would you be willing to purchase something from a student in your class through eBay, Craigslist, etc.?
  • Do you play games online with your students?  What about former students?
While our administrators may have more details of what to do and what not to do, I'm of the opinion if it could look bad, even if it's not, don't do it.  Let me give you an example.

A few years back, a student and I figured out each other liked to play a specific video game.  He sent me an invite to play online against each other.  While I didn't see a problem, I could see others in the class thinking he was getting preferential treatment because of our gaming.  So, I told him if he was still interested, contact me about a month after class ended (through my college email) and I would consider it.  (We met online and played twice before each of us moved on to other games.)

I have no problem meeting up with former students in a social environment.  I think if we work for 15 weeks to try to build relationships with our students, we are dishonest if we ignore them afterward.  However, I make sure the commitments to the instructor/student relationship are completed before taking the step into social activities.  When in doubt, I ask my wife.  She's an outsider who helps give me some very solid advice.

Where are your boundaries?  Do you have an adviser to help you when you're not sure?

No comments:

Post a Comment