Friday, March 5, 2010

Falling Isn't Failing

As a Colorado native, one of the things you have to do as a kid is learn to ski.  The first few times were spent on beginner slopes snowplowing and falling.  However, as I progressed I was starting to find myself on tougher and tougher slopes, but I was still falling.  So, I did what any kid would do, ask my friends who were better skiers.  One said something that still sticks with me, "If you aren't falling, you aren't getting better."

As I've gotten older I've really come to appreciate that wisdom.  You see, sometimes those of us who have been teaching awhile have a tendency to sit back and cruise.  We don't like to fall down.  It hurts and we still have our scars when we were starting so we take fewer chances.  The problem is if we do this, we "aren't getting any better."

So, if you are feeling like you are cruising, start taking some more chances.  Yes, you may fall.  (I did with my Olympic experiment despite Karen's best efforts, but more on that next week.)  On the other hand you will learn what works and what doesn't while expanding your horizons.  More importantly, you will be passing a message to your students about trying new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment