Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Blahs

When I first started teaching for CCCOnline, it always looked like the other folks were always gung-ho and going 100 miles an hour for the full semester.  However, after the first semester or two I discovered I always had a lull of energy between 1/3 and half way through the semester.  I've since learned in private conversations, I'm not alone here. 

Last weekend, my blahs kicked in.  I know all of my students and the "newness" of the semester is over. The end is way too far away to even think about.  I don't want to grade my students' assignments or read their discussion posts even though there's nothing different about them this week.

So what do you do when the blahs hit?  Here's a list of items I've done:
  • Mix up the discussions.  See if you can get  something different from your students.
  • Take a day or two off.  (Just be sure to communicate your plans to your students.)
  • Work in a different physical environment.  Take a laptop to a coffee shop you don't usually go to.  Try listening to different music while you work.
  • Find a content appropriate funny YouTube video and post it in the News.

No comments:

Post a Comment